The Key Concepts
- The body is buried in the active layer of soil – less than 1m deep – and rapidly decomposes.
- No harmful substances are introduced to the soil (these traditionally can come from caskets, normal embalming fluids and clothing).
- The area is eventually returned to a natural bush setting (this means no headstones or memorials are allowed).
Requirements of a natural burial
- Must use an approved casket.
- Body cannot be embalmed with traditional embalming fluids.
- No memorial (headstone) can be placed on the site.
We are fully supportive of families who opt for this method of burial and are a certified member of the national Natural Burials organisation.